Employment law and human resources management can be the single biggest problem facing small business owners on a daily basis.
This is why I have written about it extensively on a site of its own: http://EmploymentRightsIreland.com.
There you will find a comprehensive look at
- Unfair dismissals
- Constructive dismissals
- The employment contract
- TUPE (transfer of undertakings) regulations
- Data protection
- Health and safety in the workplace
- Annual leave and how to calculate holiday entitlements/time off
- Working time
- Employers’ obligations to employees under various pieces of employment and equality legislation
- Fixed term and part time employees
- Equality and discrimination in the workplace
- How to deal with employees’ claims
- Termination of employment and fair procedures in disciplinary hearings
- Workplace policies and procedures
- The various venues for bringing claims such as the Employment Appeals Tribunal.
The average payout for an unfair dismissal claim in 2012 was a little north of €18,000.
Throw in the time required to defend a claim and the cost of professional representation at a hearing and it is something that employers are understandably worried about.
It is cheaper and smarter to take all the necessary steps to avoid such claims in the first place rather than to be involved in a firefighting exercise when a complaint is made.
The steps required are not too onerous.
But you do have to take them seriously.
I have another site you might be interested in: http://EmploymentLawIreland.ie I started it to report on decisions of the Employment Appeals Tribunal, the Labour Court, the Equality Tribunal, and the Courts.
I had to quit it. Quite frankly there were so many decisions coming so thick and fast that I couldn’t keep up-it would have taken up too much of my time.
I prefer to help employers avoid such claims and my time was better spent at that. Nevertheless there are some interesting decisions recorded on that site which will give you a good look into the thinking of the decision makers.
Most of your questions concerning employment law in Ireland should be answered on this site though.